America

America

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Woe is me, Part Two.

 
One argument I heard was the "that's easy for you to say, you have a job".

Well, not according to a former friend I don't. What I am is unemployable due to combination of physical limitations, being over qualified, or under qualified.

But I run several businesses (SilverStar WebDesigns Inc - hosting/design, Hubbard Photography - partnership doing photos), MartialTalk Network - communities operated under the SilverStar Banner, I consult, I do graphic design, video editing, and I freelance articles. None are making me rich, but I made enough last year to do a 3 week road trip and a 1 week Caribbean cruise.

Not bad for an "unemployed" guy.

My key is, I look for opportunities and then do something with them when I find them. I miss a lot, but I still land a few. Most people wait for their phone to ring. Well, first you put in the resume, then you follow it up, then your phone might ring. Ya gotta work at it.

I read somewhere that if you are unemployed, you should be putting in 8 hrs a day, 40 hrs a week pounding the pavement looking for jobs, in a 'ready to work right now' fashion. Clean clothes, well groomed, looking like you could step on the floor and fit right in. Not how I see any, torn jeans, ripped tee, birds nest hair. Sorry, if you look like the guy living behind the dumpster, I'm not interested in hiring you, or even interviewing you.

Don't give me the "I don't have any nice clothes to wear". Go to Goodwill, Amvets, Salvation Army, drop $25-35 and get a nice blazer, white shirt, dark pants, shoes and socks, and a tie. Spend the $10 at the local dry cleaner to have them cleaned and pressed. Then go interview looking like money.

Structure resumes to the job you are applying for. A McD. job doesn't need to know nor do their care that 7 months ago you were a brain surgeon. You think I put my CEO title down when I applied there for a maintenance position?

Friend of mine just picked up her 2nd job. She has 2, plus a side career she does on her own. 3 jobs. In an area and economy where the picky people are crying there are no jobs. Amazing.

Stop being so picky and holding out for that "perfect" job.
After 99 weeks, you can't afford to be picky.
Swallow your pride, swallow your ego, and shovel that **** already.
You aint too good for it, and if you think you are, you're a god damned fool and deserve the hole you find yourself in.

When you have to eat, pride is less filling than cereal.
I've turned in cans I pulled out of garbage cans in the dead of night for deposit returns. I've sold recyclables. I shoveled walkways, and mowed acres of grass.

Time to stop sucking and making excuses and man up and go do it. No one promised it would be fun, exciting or fulfilling.
It's just an honest wage for an honest days work.
The alternate is standing around with your head up your ass crying about someone should do something.
Someone should. I wonder who that someone should be stinky head?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Bob Hubbard. All rights reserved.